Saturday, April 2, 2011

Re-queening a hive June 8, 2010

Yesterday I was worried about one of Tim's hives. The bees seemed very distraught; many of them circling outside the hive. I added one of my supers just in case they were getting ready to swarm. Today, Tim came out to check out his hives. He took it apart to check things out.
Tim looking at the frames of bees.
This hive was very strong. Brood was present in most of the frames--a very productive queen. A queen excluder was added on top of the top super. Now, the bees can start making honey in a new honey super.
After the queen excluder comes the honey super.

The bees that had moved into my "temporary" super (from yesterday) are shaken back into the hive. We left my super sitting out in the bee-area over night so all the bees could migrate back to their hive.


Then the inner cover goes on.

Next, Tim helped me re-queen my weak hive. There was very little brood and fewer bees. He brought a box full of queens----and bees to tend to them. One of these queens will now move into my hive.
The queen cage was placed between frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment